Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and tasteless foe, one that cares not whose path it crosses.
Have you had your furnace serviced by a professional?
Originally posted in February 2014 I felt this article merited your attention. Many homeowners and business owners alike feel that there's no reason to ever have their heating systems serviced unless the equipment is non-functional.
NOT TRUE! It makes perfect sense and is in your best interest to have an inspection of your heating equipment by a trained professional to make sure that there are no safety and health issues caused by years of wear and tear on the equipment.
Here's most of the the original blog post with some updated information:
There's no doubt that we're very busy home and business owners. We rush out the door early in the morning to get to our jobs, school, volunteer positions or social lives. We hurry home late in the day to be with our children, prepare dinner and get the family settled in for the night.
We're distracted at the end of our busy days, sometimes falling asleep in front of the TV or in bed 2 or 3 floors above our furnaces.
While many homes that have been renovated in recent years have smoke and/or fire detectors and carbon monoxide detectors that are hard-wired, many homes still do not. And, that's a big problem. Why, you ask?
Sadly, there was an incident just in February 2014, where a Long Island NY restaurant manager lost his life due to a carbon monoxide leak. 27 people including first responders were taken to the hospital because of this issue. Seven guests at a Maine hotel were taken to the hospital complaining of nausea and headaches due to the deadly gas. CNN also reported that earlier this month, a carbon monoxide leak at Baltimore hotel sent nine to the hospital. And last year, three people died two months apart in the same North Carolina motel room.
What' the best way to be proactive:
- During a tune-up, a professional should check the integrity of the heat exchanger. A small crack or rusted spot could allow carbon monoxide to escape.
- A crack or multiple visible cracks and rust could be evidence that the heat exchanger of a furnace is leaking deadly carbon monoxide. When a furnace is of this vintage and condition, it should be replaced.
- Consider having carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home, particularly near any area that is used for sleeping
- Maintain your home and it's comfort equipment regularly, not just when you have a problem.
- Choose your contractor wisely.
- Develop a relationship so you're assured of prompt service.
- Don't have non-professionals attempt to service your equipment. Saving a few dollars might not always be the wisest choice.
Contact us today!