Here's why it's important to change your air conditioner filters regularly!
Air Conditioning 101: Air passes across the cooling coil of your system.
During its journey, the air is cooled by the refrigerant in your system and circulated throughout your duct system.
Some important points:
- The efficiency of your air conditioning system is based on a consistent air flow across your cooling coil.
- Clogged, dirty filters reduce air flow.
- Reduced air flow causes the coil to over cool and eventually freeze.
- As the coils 'freeze', they can become totally encased within a block of thick ice after a few hours of operation.
Often, on the hottest days of the summer you may notice that your air conditioner is not cooling your home and upon further investigation, you might see ice formed on the refrigerant lineset at the outdoor condensing unit or at the furnace in the basement.
By the time you see this ice, your system has already frozen and needs time to defrost.
Yes, that means your air conditioning system must be turned off. Frozen coils can cause a condition called “refrigerant flood-back” which can damage or even destroy your compressor. Filters are inexpensive. Compressors and furnaces are not.
- Clean filters=maximum efficiency and capacity
- Moderately obstructed filters= reduced efficiency and capacity
- Totally obstructed filters= NO efficiency and NO capacity
Maintain your air conditioning system regularly. Changing your filters monthly is the best way to assure you won’t forget. Pay your mortgage…Change your filters.
Our second and equally valuable tip: Have your system serviced annually by a professional air conditioning service company.
Pay attention to the mechanical systems of your home. Doing so will...
- Maintain comfort in your home for you, your family and pets.
- Increase the efficiency and performance of your system.
- Extend the life of your equipment!
Is your home or business in our local NJ service area?