Have you had your sump pump checked?
It's August 27, 2011, and New Jersey homes and business owners are preparing for what could be the worst storm our area has ever seen. Out of sightl, out of mind...an expression we use often. This week it has become popular vernacular. As we prepare for Hurricane Irene the sump pump that is sitting quiety in the corner of our basement becomes a concern.
When is the last time you checked your sump pump?
We wrote an article about pumps in 2009. This weekend we are focusing on sump pumps and backup sump pumps. We feel that it's worth reading or re-reading if you've seen it before.
Here are a few test you should perform on your sump pump now:
- Open the cover (assuming you've had one installed) on your pump pit
- Be sure the sump pump pit is not loaded with debris, lost socks or missing toys
- Locate the power switch
- Pour a few gallons of water into your sump pump pit to be sure the pump is operating properly
- Check the discharge line for your sump pump, be sure it's not blocked
- Pour several gallons of water into the pit
- Turn the switch on and off several times to test
If you have a sump pump and don't already have a backup pump system, now is the time to consider one. If you do have a backup pump system, be sure you check it twice annually to ensure it's ready when you need it.
Stay safe this weekend, and get in touch if you need us!